Central Coast Metal Roofing - CUSTOM ORB®
Product Description and Features
CUSTOM ORB® corrugated profile is equally at home with traditional and contemporary design. It is long, wide, strong, lightweight and economical profile which can be quickly and easily aligned. Add up these features and you have a steel roof or wall cladding that simply offers outstanding value.
- Can be used for both roofing and walling applications
- Available in a wide variety of COLORBOND® steel colours
- Fast and easy to install
- Roof sheet lengths of up to 24m can be used before an expansion joint is required
- Can be laid flat or sprung curved for increased versatility
- CUSTOM ORB® is suitable for spring curving.
- Not suitable for machine curving
- May be used on roof pitches from as low as 5 degrees (1 in 12)
The maximum recommended support spacings are based on
testing in accordance with AS1562.1-1992, AS4040.1-1992 and
AS4040.2-1992. Supports must not be less than 1mm BMT.
Roof spans consider both resistance to wind pressure and light roof traffic (traffic arising from incidental maintenance).
Wall spans consider resistance to wind pressure only.
The figures relate only to buildings 10m or less in height and located in sheltered or exposed suburban areas or sheltered rural areas only
|Maximum Support Spacings (mm)|
|Type of Span||Thickness (mm) BMT|
|Unstiffened Eaves Overhang||200||250|
|Stiffened Eaves Overhang||300||350|
- For roofs: the data are based on foot-traffic loading.
- For walls: the data are based on pressures.
- Table data are based on supports of 1mm BMT.
Sheets are supplied custom cut.
Length: + 10 mm, - 10 mm
Cover Width: + 4 mm, - 4 mm
- ZINCALUME® steel made from zinc-aluminium alloy coated steel complying with AS1397-2001, G550 (550MPa minimum yield stress), AZ150 (150g/m2 minimum coating mass)
- COLORBOND® prepainted steel complying with AS/NZS 2728:Type 4, is made from zinc-aluminium alloy coated steel complying with AS1397-2001, G550 (550MPa minimum yield stress), AZ150 (150g/m2 minimum coating mass) or AZ200 (200g/m2 minimum coating mass), or
- COLORBOND® prepainted steel complying with AS/NZS 2728:Type 6, is made from stainless steel complying with JIS G 4305, Grade 430 stainless steel, 430SS550. Subject to enquiry
- The base metal thickness is 0.42mm or 0.48mm
What is the meaning of the name "CUSTOM ORB®" and "CUSTOM BLUE ORB®"?
"CUSTOM ORB®" is the name given to the "corrugated iron" cladding shape made by BlueScope Lysaght. The name came from the customs stamp on the corrugated iron when it was first imported from England about 150 years ago. The stamp was of the royal "orb" (ball shape on top of the royal staff). The colour reference relates to the type of steel used many years ago. The "blue" was referred to as the soft steel and the "red" referred to the hard or strong steel. The "red" in the name has been dropped over the years.
What is the difference between CUSTOM ORB® and CUSTOM BLUE ORB®?
CUSTOM ORB® is a thinner material, but of high strength steel suitable for roofs and walls. The CUSTOM BLUE ORB® is a thicker material but of softer strength steel, suitable for pre-curving for use in verandahs and tanks, but also roofs and walls.
When considering CUSTOM ORB® and CUSTOM BLUE ORB®, which cladding should I use?
Each product has benefits and uses in particular situations. As a cladding CUSTOM ORB® in a 0.48mm BMT has about the same strength as CUSTOM BLUE ORB® in 0.60mm. Therefore, if you don't need to curve the material and it is required for cladding, the thinner steel would be more economical.
What is cladding and how does it relate to roofing and walling?
Cladding is a collective term for any sheeting
that covers a building, whether it be on the roof
of the building, or on the walls. Roof cladding is
made from thicker steel and is rolled to a profile
capable of supporting roof traffic*. In most
cases, these roof claddings can also be used for
walling as well. Wall cladding is made from
thinner steel, rolled to a less rigid profile.
They are generally not capable of supporting roof
traffic, prohibiting their use as roofing.
*Some roofing is designed to be non-trafficable. Please consult the span and capacity tables of the cladding for further details.
LYSAGHT CUSTOM ORB® is available in the standard range of COLORBOND® steel colours and in unpainted ZINCALUME® steel.
For further information please contact Central Coast Metal Roofing on 02 4322 2377, or via email on our contact page.